Experiential learning is the best way to learn and inculcate those learnings. At Open Skiez, we encourage children to explore and embrace new experiences, people and situations and help them discover their real selves. The Outdoor Leadership Program is designed to make them take responsibility, move them out of their comfort zones, become more independent in thought and actions and build an outlook and attitude that can help them succeed in life.
Our weeklong programs are usually set in the higher Himalayas and the time away from their protected habituated environment helps kids open up to and experience newer possibilities, activities and other children (from different backgrounds and geographies) resulting in newer feelings/ emotions that they get introduced to, then accustomed to that they eventually end up loving so much that most children are reluctant to go back home from our programs.
Our Tirthan and Manali Programs take the children to Advanced Base camps (reached after some trekking or travel) where they experience Nature at it’s best.
Mountains humble us and make us feel special about our being. Forests and roaring rivers that support life and are home to a diverse range of flora and fauna, make us aware that we are just one of the species gracing the Earth.
Our camps, near Manali & Tirthan use the natural available magnificence of the Beas Glacier and the Great Himalayan Range (National Park) with its alpine trees, stunning peaks, glaciers, roaring rivers, glaciers and a blue sky as a setting to open up the minds.
Supported by our very qualified and experienced team of instructors, the younglings will get to discover or re-discover their potential through activities like rock-climbing, rappelling, river-crossing and trekking. The children in our Manali program will experience nature at it’s very best with a trek to the base of the Beas glacier (almost at 12000 ft) , dip in a hot spring, a visit to a local village and loads of fun and learning.
Those in our Tirthan program will witness the stunning grandeur of the Great Himalayan National Park gifted with hidden waterfalls and rock pools, chestnut, pine, cherry trees among many others, and will court adventure crossing the roaring Tirthan river, sliding down a waterfall along with other activities like Rock climbing and rappelling.
Some outcomes we hope our kids achieve from the weeklong programs -
· Accepting & adapting to change thereby improving resilence
· Learning by doing
· Taking responsibility of self & a sense of shared wellbeing
· Interpersonal skills
· Appreciating and respecting nature.
The days are broadly divided into 3 sessions –
• Trek/activity – The day’s trek/walk activity depending on the plan
• Post lunch Outdoor/ Situational Activities – The structured curriculum of putting children through various situations and studying their response, various team building activities, survival activities of basic knots, map reading, obstacle courses, Nature treasure hunts, yoga etc. will be covered in this session.
• Evening Reflection Sessions/movie under the stars - In an easy setting, children will reflect on the day’s activities and engage with other participants through sharing and discussions
Points to note – • All our instructors are certified by ABVIMAS/ NIM and trained to handle children • We always have women instructors in adequate ratio to the number of girl participant